Pages

8/01/2014

Friday Fieldnotes

This week's favorites are a bit all over the map, but just go with it.

Death Comes to Pemberley

Photo from BBC and The Mirror
Jane Austen meets Agatha Christie in this period drama by BBC. William Darcy (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Darcy, née Bennet (Anna Maxwell Martin), have been now married for six years. Life is good. Suddenly, Elizabeth's sister, Lydia Wickham, née Bennet (Jenna Coleman), arrives unannounced with a screech of "MURDER!" Drama ensues in this mini-series not yet released in the US. (I watched it on a British site.) Based on a book by the same title.

Anyone that knows me knows that I love period dramas and anything Jane Austen, so this was right up my alley. :) And Anna Maxwell Martin is one of my favorite actresses (Becoming Jane, North & South, Bleak House [lead], and The Bletchley Circle [lead]), so I was happy to see another of her works. I would highly recommend Death Comes to Pemberley and other works AMM is in.

Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs


Yes, I've been on a murder mystery kick. Not sorry.

I picked up this little novella on a whim in Barnes & Noble. Tea and murder mysteries are like period dramas and Jane Austen for me. I just can't resist, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It was actually very good! The series, Tea Shop Mysteries, is based around a tea shop in historic Charleston, SC, run by character Ms. Theodosia Browning, an amateur detective. When a man is murdered by poisoned tea at a tea function that she hosts, she just has to get to the bottom of it!

Lots of fun tea references and an engaging story line. I'm definitely planning on buying other books in the series (with fun titles like Dragonwell Dead, Scones & Bones, and Agony of the Leaves). 




Sleeping at Last's "Yearbook" album 


Sleeping at Last has been a favorite band of mine and Levi's for a long while now. Ryan O'Neal, singer-songwriter, producer, and composer is the sole member who creates such beautiful, beautiful music. And this album has been playing on repeat a lot recently.

If you're already a lover of Sleeping at Last or even if you have never heard of it at all, listen and fall in love. Some of the songs are available for listen here, and most (if not all) of the music is available on Spotify.

Seriously. Listen.









Blackberry Sage Tea, The Republic of Tea




The best. Black tea, blackberries, and white sage. Hot or iced, sweet or unsweet - it's my thing right now.

Buy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment