Pages

7/18/2014

Friday Fieldnotes

Every Friday (that I remember to do it), I'll post my favorites for the week - those books, songs, shows, thoughts, places, and things that I just can't put down.

This week, my faves are:

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger 


Twin girls inherit their estranged aunt's apartment in London, and they move there only to find that everything is never as it seems and the past will always haunt you.

I enjoyed the book - finished it in 24 hrs. But I was disappointed with the turn of events. I felt that the author touched on the darkness of human nature but did not actually pick it up and examine it. Maybe she left it there for the reader to wrestle with? I don't know.

I would recommend it, though, to anyone that likes modern fiction with a twist of the supernatural.








Red Cactus Cafe Tamales and Empanadas in Marietta, GA

Photo from Red Cactus Cafe Facebook Page

Picked up a few of these at the Marietta Square Farmer's Market. Oh heavens.

My favorites are the pork and tomatillo and the chicken and jalapeno.

I got hooked on tamales when I went to a friend's Mexican wedding in California a couple years back. It's hard to find "authentic" tamales just anywhere, but I am super happy with these. YUM!









Garden & Gun magazine
I subscribed recently to this magazine, wanting something a little less "mass-produced" as Southern Living (don't get me wrong, I still love Southern Living!). And of course, the first issue I receive is the Food Issue.

As a die-hard, self-proclaimed foodie, I have been enthralled and overjoyed to have this magazine in my hands this week and read all about heirloom tomatoes, farm-to-table pork chops, and foraged wild asparagus.

I highly recommend this mag to anyone interested in Southern Culture and History. Check out their website, too!




Journaling

I used to write all the time - daily entries, stories, poems, dreams. And then for some reason, I stopped. I recently found all my empty journals though that I've been saving for "some day," and I've started to fill them up again. It's very therapeutic and relaxing. I don't know if I ever solve any problems while journaling, but sometimes putting pen to paper and getting cyclical thoughts OUT of your mind really help to create a calm spirit. So, I've been trying to get in the habit of writing again. Sometimes I just jot down quotes, and sometimes I write pages and pages of thoughts and ideas and worries down. I've realized again how much I need it. :)

NPR Atlanta

I'll be honest. I hate pop music. And radio commercials. And most radio "personalities." So I listen to NPR. Where else can you get Scarlatti, Civil War history, world news, and Irish Folk music all in the same place? Case closed.



I hope you enjoy reading about this weeks favorites! What are you loving right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment